Sunday 19 August 2012

Photography is a passion

Well, I have been doing photography for a number of years now. I have a DSLR camera. It was a relatively cheap camera compared to the amount of money you can spend on this type of equipment and I do appreciate the type of photos you can take with this type of technology. I am still learning! I enjoy the idea of taking photos to capture a moment, like most people. But I also see it as a documentation of an event..an emotion....a moment. We are always told that we can not do anything about the past.... the future is not yet here..we only have THIS moment. We all have moments in our life that we often wish we could retain forever. Sometimes we are thankful that moments do pass. But with photography it helps our own memory to recapture the emotions attached to that moment. Sometimes our memory can distort THAT moment. We recollect that moment with the influence of things that have happened since. I feel that a picture can help recapture the raw moment that has passed. I prefer to take pictures that are natural and not staged, but sometimes in order to get better you do have to 'stage' a moment in order to practise the skills needed for that 'perfect' picture.
I really enjoy portrait pictures. I find the human interaction with the lens amazing. I strive to capture the truth in a picture. I realise that this sounds very much like a typical thing someone would say but it is my truth to it. The face and eyes really can tell a story about the moment that person is in...even if they are aware a picture is being taken you can sometimes get your subject to be truthful. So far I have only achieved truth in my own self portraits. I do hope that as I continue, I will get better at 'finding the truth' in others. I would like to share some pictures that I have taken because I find it joyful..no matter what the 'truth' is shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment